Strategic Centres boost innovations
The Strategic Centres for Science, Technology and Innovation established in Finland are new public-private partnerships for speeding up innovation processes. Their main goal is to thoroughly renew industry clusters and to create radical innovations.
Long-term cooperation between industry and the academia
Centres (SHOK in Finnish) develop and apply new methods for cooperation, co-creation and interaction. International cooperation also plays a key role in the operation of the Strategic Centres. Testing and piloting environments and ecosystems constitute an essential part of the Strategic Centres' operations.
In Strategic Centres, companies and research units work in close cooperation, carrying out research that has been jointly defined in the strategic research agenda of each Centre. The research aims to meet the needs of Finnish industry and society within a five-to-ten-year period.
Six centres are in operation
- Energy and the environment: CLEEN Ltd
- Bioeconomy: Finnish Bioeconomy Cluster FIBIC Oy
- Metal products and mechanical engineering: FIMECC Ltd
- Built environment innovations: RYM Ltd
- Health and well-being: SalWe Ltd
- Information and communication industry and services: Tieto- ja viestintäteollisuuden tutkimus TIVIT Oy